I made it home after my unreasonably long journey, and finally had a chance to get back to my sewing machine. At 4 am. Since jetlag had me awake, I figured I might a well get quilting. I am happy to be home and back sewing!
I wanted to get the background quilting for my Nightmare quilt done this weekend. I finished all of the central sashing, adding a few more variations of the kinds of lines and serpentines I was doing, but still have the corners and setting triangles to do. I started repeating the same straight line quilting I had in the sashing in the setting triangles, but I realized the triangles are so large, it is not going to work. My current plan is to do a strip of straight lines that is about the same width as the sashing and then add another design in the open triangle space that is left,maybe with a different thread. It is tempting to quilt something fancy in those spaces, but I really want the focus of the quilt to be the main diamond blocks, so I want something that will give texture without drawing too much attention.
For the corners, I am planning to add the 3″ strip of straight line quilting, so it will repeat the effect of the sashing. Once I have that done, I will see what I am inspired to do with the rest of the space. Then it is on to the diamonds!