I write this surrounded by fabric, having taken out every piece of fabric in my stash. I did not intend to redecorate my home with quilting fabric. No, I started with an enthusiastic desire to get working on my Sweet Sixteen gift quilt, which I envision as having a white or white on white background to set off the red scrap blocks and give me lots of room for quilting. However, when I pulled out my white fabrics, I realized I was in trouble. This. This is the entire collection of white or mainly white fabrics in my stash.
That’s it. That’s all of it. The black and grey on white fabrics aren’t really what I was looking for since I really want to feature the quilting in this one. And even if I did want to use the fabric on hand, no one fabric there is more than 1 1/2 yards, and that larger white piece is actually all leftover large scrap pieces as opposed to yardage. I do not fare that much better for the grey I want for the back of the fabric.
That discovery is what started me pulling out all my stash and desperately looking for other fabric that have enough of to use as the background of the front or back of the quilt. There are several fabrics I have in what are probably sufficient amounts. I can only say: What was I thinking?! What ever possessed me to buy large cuts of those fabrics! A green and metallic fabric that calls out to be used in a Christmas quilt. A mottled greenish fabric that will not play nicely with any other fabric in my stash and looks appalling next to my Sweet Sixteen blocks. And this other mottled fabric whose color defies description and that would be best used in small quantities. Very, very small quantities.
As difficult as it was to imagine those fabrics in one of my quilts, they were not the worst, not by a long shot. As I was digging through my fabrics I came across some fabrics so hideous that I think they deserve their own post sometime soon. I am sure I saw the other fabrics trying to move away from them.
I really wish I had envisioned this quilt before I made my recent trip to the US and had picked up enough yardage I will need. Tomorrow I will go scour the market in the hope I can find a a suitable cotton fabric at least for the top if not the backing. If not, I may have to order fabric, which may significantly delay this quilt 😦
I did get some actual sewing done today despite the disorder of my fabrics. I had been thinking of a scrappy blue binding for my Nightmare quilt, but after pulling out all my blue scraps, I decided it would distract from the main design. The main blue of the quilt would have worked, but I did not have enough fabric left. While looking through my stash, though, I found an unexpected piece of black fabric, enough for the binding. So now the binding is sewn on the back of the quilt, and I will finish machine sewing it on in time for TGIF Friday.