All bound and ready for gifting. Except for possibly a label. This was a very fun quilt to work on. I would have loved to match the binding to the quilt top as in this tutorial, but what would have looked wonderful on one side would have looked terrible on the other so I gave up on that idea. In fact the only colors that I felt would work on both sides of the quilt were grey and black. I went with grey because I have a lot of the fabric and relatively little of my black fabrics, and I love how it has turned out. I decided to finish the binding by hand because it is a gift and though my machine binding is improving, finishing it by hand still looks considerably better. Next time I might include a few more common fabrics on the front and back to give me more binding choices that would work on both sides.
From the beginning I wanted this quilt to be a two-sided quilt. The floating ‘ghost’ squares quilted on the front are based on the motif on the back, and for the most part, I think the two sides of the quilt work well together. For some reason, I have been having a very hard time getting a good picture of the back though. I envision the blue strip that is at the bottom of the picture on the left being on the top, but that left it out of the picture.
I have written quite a bit about this quilt and its development here, here, here and here, for those of you who want the blow-by-blow account. It is a lot of quilting but I tried to keep the motifs on the edges a bit larger, which I think helped maintain a decently soft feel despite having been quilted to death.
This is my first Q2 Finish Along Goal (#1) and my April Lovely Year of Finishes Goal. I’m linking the finish to Free Motion Mavericks and Can I Have a Whoop Whoop (the source of my Sweet 16 inspiration). A bit late, but hopefully not too late to share. Also linking up to Thank Goodness It’s Finished Friday.
This is also my one and only Binding Blitz finish for April.