I’m a bit behind on my posting. Yesterday was a rather eventful day, with some exciting news to share once it is confirmed. Among the more mundane things that gone done, though, was that my air conditioners got fixed, so I was able to get to my kitchen peninsula and do some cutting today for my Kaffee Fassett-inspired quilt. Many diamonds were cut!
I rarely do all of my cutting at the beginning of a project, but for this quilt, I felt it would help. I cut two diamonds from most of my fabrics, 3 from a few and only 1 from some fabrics I only had a small amount of. I also cut strips from each of the fabrics for borders. I have a pile of reds and oranges I can draw from as well, once I start playing with combinations.
I love these fabrics, and in my enthusiasm may have cut more than I need for this quilt. I am thinking I may make a sister quilt from all the extras. I also have all these cute triangle scraps that might just make their way into that quilt or become a wonky triangle strip on the back. Or become their own mini-quilt. We shall see!
This quilt is inspired by Kaffe Fassett’s Bordered Diamonds, but I do not have his book, nor have I bought a pattern. When I searched on the web, many people who had made them recommended buying a diamond ruler. After a few mis-cuts, I decided to cut a 6 1/2″ strip and use my 6 1/2″ ruler that has a 60 degree angle line. In case you ever want to do something similar, here’s a picture of how I cut the diamonds. I lined up the 60 degree line with the bottom of the strip, and cut on both sides of the ruler.