I think I may just have let things get a bit out of hand. I now have 41 diamonds and an additional 4 partially-pieced diamonds, and 6 inner diamonds waiting for borders, and possibly another few blocks or partial blocks hiding by the sewing machine. Or on the
kitchen peninsula cutting table. Or on the dining room table designated temporary storage area. If I go with one of my designs from last week’s post, I may just end up with 2 quilts. Not necessarily a bad thing!
When I started this quilt, I cut one or two diamonds from each of the fabrics I had pulled for the quilt, and then I started cutting strips for the borders around the diamonds. I did not cut strips from everything (mainly because I got tired of cutting and was not sure how many strips I would need), so at this stage I have a small pile of diamonds left to piece and some odd strips that may or may not be long enough for a full border. I am pretty sure I will have to cut additional strips, but I want to use the ones I have cut first. This may push me into some fabric combinations I would not otherwise have gone with, which is a good thing.
Once I have all my diamonds pieced, I will pull out potential background fabrics and start playing with layouts. I like how the blocks with red borders have turned out. I think they will add a bit of sparkle to the quilt. I have another couple in progress, including one or two using this fabric from my stash that I really love. A block would probably show it off more than using it as a border on a block, but it would not fit in this quilt. Luckily I have some more fabric left and I will be able to use it in something else…though since I started with a fat quarter, I do not have all that much left.