It seems my owls have encountered some difficulties. Perhaps they have been drinking. Or have been hit by UFOs while off getting their nightly exercise….Or maybe they are in love? I am a bit concerned about them.
Though I am having quite a bit of fun with my owls, I have run into a few issues. Right before starting work on the sampler, I decided to try my contacts again after a long break. About 2 years ago, I began using one contact as a test to see if lasik eye surgery would be worthwhile. I am very nearsighted in one eye, and my eyes have adjusted so that my nearsighted eye manage close up vision and the other eye deals with distance. Trying to quilt the owls reminded me why I stopped the contact experiment and did not go for lasik in the first place. When I use the contact, my middle vision is noticeably shaper, and my distant vision is largely unchanged, but I can’t seem to focus well close up. Very small details are too tiny at ‘reading distance’, but if I bring the item closer, the details go blurry. I was not able to get a good look at the stitches to see if they were properly balanced, and threading my needle was a challenge. These first three owls weren’t too bad, but one of the later owls is a mess. It’s funny, it is an owl I quilted using Superior Rainbow thread,which is the same weight as the King Tut and should really use the same tension…but I just could not get the tension right. It was fine on my test piece, but on the actual sampler it was a disaster, with bottom thread showing through whenever I changed directions or got thread built up.
So far I have Superior Masterpiece thread, 50 wt, at the top left; Superior King Tut thread, 40 wt., below it; then below that, Superior Rainbow thead in 40 wt. I don’t have any other Superior thread types, but there are a still a few boxes available if I get some.
In the second column at the top is Aurifil Mako 50 wt, and I hope to fill the column with various aurifil threads since I have fallen in love with them. The third column, top box is DMC cotton thread. There’s no indication of the weight on the label, and the label keeps falling off the spool so soon I will forget that it is DMC thread. I have a feeling it is actually an embroidery thread, maybe 50 wt. Still to quilt with are some Mettler thread, a fairly heavy rayon thread, and a few I got in Japan including a silk thread I picked up many years ago.
The far right column of the sampler will be dedicated to what (to me) are specialty threads: monofiliment, metallics, and any other unusual threads I acquire.
I am glad to be doing some actual quilting, so I can link up to Free Motion Mavericks (after several weeks away!). Also linking up to Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. All the other Friday linkups seem to require me to finish something, so I do not think I will be joining them any time soon!