It took a little while, but I actually got to my sewing machine today! Years ago, I started a quilt based on Karen K. Stone’s Rattlesnake pattern. I had a few blocks completed and a stack of central paper-pieced sections done, but It got put in a box when I stopped quilting for a few years. When I took it out before the summer, I still loved the idea of it but had no idea what to do with the background of the blocks. Luckily this summer I collected a fair number of grey fabrics, and I like the idea of a grey/black/red background. Here’s a very rough idea of what I have in mind.
I’ve actually had the stack of potential background fabrics sitting on a table in my living room since August, but today I finally finished two more blocks. The quilt inspector was very excited when I put the first block on the floor to photograph it, and was quite insulted when I did not allow him to sit on it!
This quilt will be a bit outside my comfort zone — it is my first paper piecing attempt and a much more wild use of pattern and color than is my norm. And my normal high density quilting may end up getting entirely lost in all the pattern…I hope I still like it by the time it is done.