It is Wednesday and (gasp!) I actually have a work in progress to share. My Rattlesnake quilt top is still finished, but it also now has a backing.
A reminder of what the quilt looks like, for those just stopping in.
Sorry to keep posting the same picture of the quilt top. My attempts to get additional pictures have not gone well! This is me at 5’7″, standing on a footstool, trying to hold it so it could be photographed. My quilt holding skills need work. Or I need considerably longer arms.
After considering my various backing options, this is what I decided to go with. Again, sorry for the quality of the pictures!
It might have been a wiser choice to go with the boring old red fabric, but I saw how vibrant the red sarong was, and I just couldn’t resist. My original plan was to put a strip of the other red on the top and another on the bottom of the sarong portion, then black on either side. It would have looked good..but it also would have added a few seams. The way I have put it together now, I really only have 3 seams to deal with, which I think would have been the case no matter what backing I had gone with. I am quite sure the red fabric will end up backing a future quilt. The blue and gold sarong deserves its own special treatment, someday. For this quilt, when eight or nine of my nearest and dearest friends (the number of people I estimate will be able to fit under this quilt comfortably) and I cuddle up under it, we will be able to enjoy both sides of the quilt.
My plan is baste the quilt on Saturday and start quilting on Sunday, at least on some test pieces. I am still thinking of using some ideas from Stupendous Stitching.