I have to admit, I am feeling rather grumpy. My Rattlesnake quilt is basted and ready to quilt, but it was quite a struggle. I got the backing and batting laid out, carefully sprayed and smoothed…and the Quilt Inspector, whose name is now Mud, decided it was the perfect place for a game of keep away with his toys. I eventually got him off it and straightened it out, but the damage was done. When I turned it over, it was no longer smooth and flat, so a lot of re-positioning and ironing ensued. Got that done, and laid it out again to put the top on, and discovered that despite having laid the quilt backing on the top to check the size, it was too small by several inches on one side. Naturally I did not have more of the solid black I had used so I found some big scraps of red and a black that is on the front of the quilt, sewed them on to the backing…and realized I needed to add more batting on that side as well…I am very grateful for the tape that can be used to join batting. The quilt top went down fairly easily except for the constant need to shoo the evil furry one off the quilt.
One positive is that with the quilt laid out on the floor, I was able to get a better picture of it. One is the feature pic, and here is another. Mud has not been included (except for his feet) as he is in the dog house indefinitely.
I have a clear idea of what I want to do with the plain black background sections as far as quilting, but no idea what I will do with the ‘rattlesnake’ portions or the central black portion. I think this will be one of the quilts that I figure out the quilting as I go along.
Finally, I want to share a sign I saw at a 1950s themed restaurant that I ate at the other night (Veggie SF, a great choice if you are looking for vegetarian restaurants in Hong Kong). I think I may need one for my house.
Linking this up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, where everyone is sharing their week’s achievements.