I envisioned myself making massive quilting progress during Chinese New Year break, but my quilting progress has been slow and somewhat frustrating. After adding the decorative stitches to the inner border of the Rattlesnake quilt, I added some straight quilting between those lines. When I started, I made some of the lines of decorative stitching wavy with the intention of creating gaps where I could add free motion quilting, but it is hard (for me at least) to control the distance between lines of decorative stitches, so in some places the lines are too close together to add even a line of stitching, while in other places there are relatively large gaps…so I would start on one side where there was a reasonable distance between lines of stitches, turn the corner, get part way down the next side and discover the lines were so close together it was almost impossible to stitch between the lines. I’ve finished the border for now, but I may go back to add some free motion stitches where there are larger gaps, or I may leave it as is. You can see the overall effect here:
I wanted the black inner section of the quilt to be quilted rather simply so that the rattlesnake portion would stand out more. I added straight lines of stitching with my walking foot, but progress was slow, probably because I find straight line stitching rather dull in general, and it was hard to work up enthusiasm to face the starts and stops required. When I finally did get near the end this morning, I did this!
I have no idea how, though I am quite nearsighted and did have to lean over the quilt to see the black thread ends I wanted to snip…Luckily the missing hair is not terribly noticeable!
I finally got the outer portion of the inner square done, and spent quite some time hemming and hawing about what to do with the central part of the rings. After considering quite a few different designs, in a burst of determination and impatience with my slow progress, I started quilting free motion parallel arcs to create diamond shapes. It was soon clear that my free motion quilting is quite rusty, and I could not maintain anything like parallel lines in the large spaces…I probably should have either done it with a walking foot or gone with an entirely different design. It did not help that I have broken the quilting table that comes with the sewing machine, so it keeps shifting and moving out of place. Not helpful for smooth stitching!
I am not very pleased with it, but I do not think I am so displeased that want to rip the whole thing out. This is, after all, a quilt to be used. Here’s what I ended up with:
The Quilt Inspector wanted me to know that whatever its shortcomings, he is willing to adopt it.
Happy Year of the Monkey to everyone!