It’s been busy here with Chinese New Year, and I have done more visiting friends than quilting. But I did make a bit of progress, mainly on the outer border of the quilt. It doesn’t look like much yet, but what I am aiming for is parallel sets of wavy lines that will create space for some free motion quilting in between the sets of lines, inspired by Angela Walter’s signature quilting. As with the inner border, once I have finished the decorative lines, I’ll add in some straight-stitched lines for more definition. I was surprised on the inner border how much difference those lines made. This time I have left more space for it.
This picture gives a sense of how it looks overall at this point. It’s a grey day and there’s not much natural light.
One question I have is what colors to use in the spaces. I have a few variegated threads, but mainly in blues or blue and purple with a touch of red. I had thought of using all black to set off the decorative stitching…but it may just highlight the irregularity of the decorative stitching. It will be easier to see what works when I get all the decorative stitching and highlighting done, hopefully this weekend!
Linking this up to Let’s Bee Social. It’s always fun to see what everyone is working on there.