Background Finished

Finally!  After I got 3/4 of the way through, I realized that the way I was doing the background wasn’t really creating the illusion I wanted so I switched to an easier way, allowing quilt lines to cross.  I wish I had 3-4 of these quilts so I could try different approaches to quilting them as in the book, Quilting Makes the Quilt.  I might try one with minimal quilting in the sashing.

You can see the overall look from the picture in the header of the Quilt Inspector inspecting my progress.  He also pointed out that it is quilt comfy and he approves so far:

relaxing

Here’s how the sashing looks close up.

background

I have not yet stitched in the ditch around the center block, but I will do that when I quilt inside the block.  My plan is to use different motifs in the different sections of each block, but I am also considering starting with one motif in the dark corner and gradually morphing it into other motifs as I move across the quilt blocks so that it echos the color changes.

Sharing this over at Can I get a Whoop Whoop and Finished or Not Friday.

8 thoughts on “Background Finished”

  1. I like the contrast between the neutrals and the bright colors, it will be quite beautiful when you are finished! At first I thought your Quilt Inspector (I am going to call him QI) was sleeping on the job, but after reading your comments, he is actually doing a nice job of product testing.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. […] Dawn to Dusk (or is it Through the Looking Glass?) used a very narrow strip to divide blocks, and it left me with all kinds of interesting pieces to use with other scraps from my more recent quilts.  I made some blocks last August, and when I started pulling out my scraps this week, I thought I was down to quite a limited selection — just what is on the photo on the left.  That was until I remembered a box of scraps I had on one of my fabric scraps.   I still have a ton of scraps!  I swear they are breeding. […]

    Like

  3. […] Dawn to Dusk is folded and sitting on a table, waiting for me to get back to it, but I have two additional projects calling my name.  The first is my ruler quilting project.  I wanted something simple so I could experiment with the rulers I bought, so I started digging through scraps and orphan blocks.  I re-discovered my Kaffe Fassett-inspired diamond blocks that are waiting for re-inspiration, and found an orphan block I made the wrong size.  It’s not the greatest picture of the block, but here.  Not sure why the fabrics are not showing up in true colors.  The border on the diamond is more of deep maroon/purple.  You can also see a grey fabric at the top of the photo.  It’s a beautiful fabric made with grey and aqua warp and weft, I think an Oakshott fabric.  It is luminous and appears to change color when you look at it from different angles. It doesn’t have quite enough contrast with the main block to use as the background, but I think it would make a good border.  I have about a fat quarter. […]

    Like

Share your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s